TuathaDea
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Navigation
 Home
 Recent
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Sandybridge CPU

5 posters

Go down

Sandybridge CPU Empty Sandybridge CPU

Post by Maug Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:14 pm

Hey All,

Anyone running Rift with a new sandybridge cpu setup, I have a i5 2500k coming in next week and wanted to see if anyone was using one for gaming? Once it is built my daughter will take my old one and I will finally be able to play more than a few hours at a time Smile
Maug
Maug
Rift Member
Rift Member

Back to top Go down

Sandybridge CPU Empty Re: Sandybridge CPU

Post by Tolgeranth Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:18 pm

I am curious how much better the game will run with the actual client. If it will work on one of our older laptops, will make playing while away from home easier. We have a Dell with 2.2 Ghz AMD dual core, 3 gigs ram, Radeon X1275 that is inbetween the minimum and recommended specs.

I am in love with the Intel I series chipset, very fast and responsive. May never buy AMD again, other than their video cards (ATI was Canadian before they got bought out Smile ).
Tolgeranth
Tolgeranth
Guild Master
Guild Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimatum Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Well, it all depends on what motherboard you get. If you get a P67 (geared toward gaming) or an H67 motherboard (geared towards overall performance). If you have a P67 motherboard, then the chipset will allow for nearly maximum gaming performance.

Here is a link to a good P67 mobo you can check out
ultimatum
ultimatum
Centurion
Centurion

http://www.tuatha-dea.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Maug Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:55 pm

AMD is coming out with the version of the sandybridge called bulldozer which is supposed to be as fast or faster but will see when it is released.

I got the following for myself.

CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C9

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible ...

COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Last edited by ultimatum on Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : avoid double posting)
Maug
Maug
Rift Member
Rift Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimatum Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:04 pm

Looks like a sweet setup. Probably somewhere around $600-$900 I'm assuming. The processor being the most expensive, obviously.

Well, since you got a second-gen processor overclocked I'm sure it is going to run incredibly well. Not to mention all that DDR3.

What about your power supply? You got enough juice to support all that? I'm thinking at minimum a 600w. I'd expect a 1200, just to spoil yourself, haha.

*edit*
Oh my bad. You did say a 650w power supply. I missed that.

Last edited by ultimatum on Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ultimatum
ultimatum
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Maug Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:10 pm

I hope the 650w power supply is good enough if not I will take the 950w from the old system and use it. It's supposed to be less power hungry I hope Smile
Maug
Maug
Rift Member
Rift Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KillMachine/Keilia Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:32 am

Jeez! You guys make me feel like an idiot when it comes to all this technical computer stuff.

I have a Dell XPS 625, 8 gigs ram, ddr?, AMD quad core processor and an ATI radeon???? video card. I don't know if it's good but it plays a thousand times smoother than my old PC. I'm happy with it.

I need you smart people to consult with when I start purchasing hardware for the PC I plan to have custom built. I know some stuff is and isn't compatible but have no idea what. I hope to get that underway this year and not exceed the $3,000 budget I have in mind.

I think Forest was telling me to go to NewEgg or TigerDirect but that doesn't help someone as dim as me when it comes to purchasing hardware. I think "big numbers, it must be good." lol
KillMachine/Keilia
KillMachine/Keilia
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimatum Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:46 pm

Not always true! For Clock Latency on RAM the smaller the number the better.

Anyway, $3000 will build you an amazing computer if you buy the parts yourself. If you buy all those parts yourself, then I recommend buying a motherboard that comes with a processor preinstalled. It may be simple to install a processor, but if you mess up, then you just burnt out a $150-$400 piece of hardware.

I saw this combo online yesterday that was a pretty sweet deal. Only thing it is missing is a video card. Without a video card it's about $1200, but if you add one to it, then a great card will make it about $1300-$1500.

Good Collection of stuff

In that you get the 2600k (overclocked i7 processor; second generation), a p67 motherboard (designed for gaming), a 1000w power supply (able to handle a good graphics card, overclocked cpu, gaming RAM, etc.), 4 gigs of DDR3 ram (DDR3 is 4 times as fast as DDR), a solid state hard drive (small size, but the speed of your computer would be phenomenal when compared to a regular magnetic hard drive).
ultimatum
ultimatum
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Numenor Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:47 pm

Dont need to go for such high specs if you only want to run Rift. I am running rift on my 3 year old PC with all the graphic specs to the extreme. Still I did not face any graphic lag during the beta.

I upgraded only my GPU for Rift. Smile

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz
RAM: DDR2 8 GB (Overkill for Rift.. but I require more RAM for work purpose. I work in VMware Inc. and I am running multiple OS at the same time in virtualized environment)
PSU: One 700W basic SMPS to power the mobo and the hard drive. One separate 600W CoolerMaster dedicated to GPU and fans in the PC. (yeah had to do some wirejob to link both the PSU to start together. 4 times cheaper than buying one high watt PSU)
GPU: 2x nvidia GTX 460 in SLI (earlier had 2X nvidia 8600GT in SLI)
MBD: MSI Platinum P7 750i (old model but still works great in SLI)
HDD: Four HDD 2X 500G, 1X 250G and 1X 120G (Again for my work requirement). All are SATA at 7400RPM. Pretty basic.

As you see I am running a pretty old model PC but still can play RIFT without any issues on highest settings. So try to upgrade only GPU in your machine if possible. Save money and dont get a overkill PC just to play RIFT.

Cheers!!!!

And yea if you still want to buy a kickass PC or any PC according to your requirement, just let me know. I can suggest you good components according to your requirement with best value. I like PC building and I have done many for my friends.
PS: I am not from the US so I can only suggest you components, you will have get it yourself from the market. Very Happy
Numenor
Numenor
Rift Member
Rift Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimatum Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:18 pm

He doesn't just play Rift. He plays Aion, Last Chaos, World of Warcraft, etc. Rift doesn't require much to play Rift. Max settings on that game is easy to reach with a lower end PC.

Like I said, though, that was just a combo deal I had seen online. His processor is a bit dated. I think I remember him telling me he had the Core 2 Duo, so he is due for an upgrade, and the fact that he uses DDR ram is making his computer even more dated since DDR is two generations behind. He most definitely doesn't need to spend $3000, though haha. $3000+ is when you buy a computer from an OEM like Dell for what less than $1200 worth of parts.
ultimatum
ultimatum
Centurion
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by KillMachine/Keilia Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:42 am

Man! I can't not do overkill. Firstly, I am KillMachine, that's just how I roll and secondly, I like to prepare for the future. I want a PC that is going to be capable of handling anything I put in it.

Knowing this.... I will definitely be in contact with you tech-heads if I build a new PC. It's pointless to spend $3k if $1k will do. I just want to be sure I am getting good stuff. I have a friend of mine in FL here that builds PCs so I will most likely tap into his knowledge as well.

As of now it is only speculative if I am going to be getting a new PC. I want one but it all comes down to $$$. My old PC runs fine but I know there are better ones and I would like to have it.
KillMachine/Keilia
KillMachine/Keilia
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down